Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 1995 15:32:01 GMT
From:         vw@gulbransen.com (Vw)
Subject:      Re: ROAD HAZARDS

> Wednesday driving home from work I encountered the second most frightening > road hazard in my tender 14 yrs behind the wheel. Some bozo had lost a > 2'x8' sheet of plywwod in the fast lane. ........

Back when I was attending Long Beach State, one night after class I was headed north on the San Gabriel freeway near the 405 interchange when I noticed the guy ahead of me swerve, or try to anyway. He ran over a mattress. Then I ran over the same mattress 'cause I was only a couple of car-lenghts behind him. I thought I was going to die. But, to my great relief, I was still in the same lane, headed the same direction, and the car still seemed to work, and I had not hit anybody. Needless to say, I was quite shaken. So I continued home hoping that nothing worse would happen to me. When I got home, I looked under the little car to check out the damage. Aside from some scraps of cotton padding stuck to the bottoms of bolts and tie rods, things were fine. I wonder what would have happened had I been driving a bus. I did not own one then.

BTW, sorry I mentioned using gasoline as a solvent. But, it sure makes good holy water for starting camp fires!

Bob and Penny Lee vw@gulbransen.com San Diego, CA '71 VW Bus White/Blue with sunroof '72 VW Super Beetle White Herbie '71 VW Bus Dark Blue with sunroof '72 VW Super Beetle Orange with sunroof