Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 95 13:47:35 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      Re: 5 cyl Vanagon/f

Well not to get into another shouting match but I have driven one more than around the block. Mom and dad borowed a '93 MV for a weekend and as I had a lot more recent Vanagon driving experience, I took it out and flogged it ruthlessly for an afternoon, took it from NE WV up to Pittsburg, around Pittsburg and back, although not 3000 miles hardly little enough to make me EV impaired. Now I agree totally with Ric and Bill to the fact it is the best handling, best powered VW van to date. Still it is ONLY adequately powered, ie. say you got 7 people and are on a good uphill interstate grade cruising 70-75 and need emergency power to avoid something like a errant Subaru coming at you over the median on its roof backwards (I have had this happen to me in the '86, hit the pedal and nothing, had to do a snap lane change from the passing lane to the right median which the Van did very nicely and the guy behind me said the Subaru missed by less than 1 foot), will you have it Ric?, the truth please. Certainly not without a downshift, and what if you are on vacation and are towing a trailer? And it is noisier than a Vanagon, not as noisy as a Bus or most V6 american products though so that isn't really too much of an issue either. The only real problem I had (past tense as I don't think she's comin back) with the EV is price, and this certainly was not VW's fault, simply bad exchange rates and poor German economy after the unification. They could not sell any German made product, Corrado, EV, and not many Passats, an unfortunate truth, hell if they had tooled up EV production in Mexico or Brazil instead, replacing the ongoing Type 2 production they might have sold em by the 100,000s for a few grand less, could have been like the glory days, the product was sound, the size incredible. As it was a 20V, ABS free, and a smooth automatic might have attracted enough of the "sheep" into giving it more of a try compared to the competition. Fact is to be mainstream and sell cars you must cater to the market even if it is a stupid, fickle, lazy, market, the 50's and 60's are gone, VW does not have the only smaller van on the block getting acceptable mileage. Your average "value on the outside" driver will not sacrifice convenience for a van even if it will go 15+ years as they will probably only keep it 5 to keep up with the neighbors. And of course reliabilty of the Wasserboxer left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths as did A/C problems, trim problems, etc. that Consumer Idiots were quick to extoll in their typical anti-VW way. Anyway this all said I will of course probably buy one used in a few years and I know dad is really thinking about one yet even though I have tried to convince him into a nice low miles Vanagon instead to avoid the massive depreciation costs but he has the money and really doen't care so go figure a VW van owner is a VW van owner until he dies and buys what they offer because to us it is the only real game on the block.

John ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy Virginia, '90 Corrado G60