Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 95 15:14:13 PDT
From:         lars@RNS.COM (Lars Poulsen)
Subject:      Dictionary ... part II

I knew there was a reason I was confused, but piecing together the pieces from several sources, it is getting much clearer. Here is what I've been told so far:

- Safari Bus

Mike Wright: Dave Schwarze has a Safare, which has a permanently raised fiberglass top--sort of looks like a rowboat upside down on top of the Bus.

Joel Walker: well, one definition of a Safari bus is those tour buses in Kenya that take tourists around out in the plains. but usually, when refering to buses, Safari means those tilt-out windshields on the Microbuses (split-windows) ... it was designed for very hot (equatorial) climates, to get much more air and ventilation into the bus.

Dave Kautz: Another US-made camper conversion.

Dean Aukes: This is a conversion done in the U.S. - David Schwarze has one - he is an expert on these - his is a '73 and has a solid high-top (fiberglass), not a poptop. I'm not sure if all of them were like that. His came with A/C, refrig, closet, bed, and much more. His web page has pictures of it.

- AdventureWagen

Steve Johnson: There is a company that converts the basic VW bus/vanagon with a bubble top and various interior layouts that are made at the customers request. They are in Northern California.

Matt Goike: the adventurewagen i have is an 81. it has no amenities aside from the extended top and storage area, and a fold-out bed (bench seat) below. fuller conversions included a pull-out bed upstairs, and possibly more. i do not know if pre-brick adventurewagens were made, but the phone # of the company (adventure campers) is (707) 964-4298.

Joel Walker: a company in the u.s. that made camper conversions out of vw buses. still in business (ft. bragg, ca) but not using vw buses anymore (fords and chevies and such nowadays). characterized by HUGE roof replacement, sticks WAAAAAY up, lots of headroom. ... they also made 1968-1979 and even 1980-> models. somebody on the list has a 1981 Adventurewagen made on a vanagon. but it's just a vw bus that someone other than vw/westfalia converted and sold as a camping bus.

- Campmobile

Steve Johnson: I always thought that this refered to all VW buses with the camper outfit.

Mike Wright: I drive a 68 Campmobile. It's a Westfalia without sink, stove, fridge, & poptop. Just the bed, a table, the closets & the jalousie windows. These were the poor persons Westfalia, I think.

Joel Walker: the name officially given by vw to the camper models (by Westfalia) during the 1956-1979 model years. some die-hards still call the Camper (which is what vw uses when refering to the vanagon camper models) a Campmobile. :)

Dave Woodward: I believe that a Campmobile is the English conversion, I've only heard of them in pre 70's campers.

Dean Aukes: This is the official name for the Westfalia conversion (done in Germany at Westfaliawerk and sold in the U.S. by the dealers) for the years '68 thru, I think '89 - when the Vanagon came out. After that I think it was called Camper. The layout is the same for the '68-'73; two front seats, one rear facing seat, two seatbelts on the bed/seat. Single cot in the upstairs pop top. Luggage rack on the back, pop top hinges at front. '74 & on breadloafs; double bed upstairs in the pop top, two front seats, two seatbelts on the bed/seat and more camping hardware with non-folding tables. Luggage rack on the front (smaller than '68-'73), pop top hinges at rear.

- Weekender

Dave Woodward: The weekender is minus the poptop and stove/fridge/sink but does have cubboards and the bed.

Steve Johnson: Well, I think this is the 7 passenger Vanagon with a poptop like the camper a table, and a rear seat that folds out into a bed. It came with an optional 12V refridgerator/cooler.

Dave Kautz: This is the tough one, I've heard it used several ways. This is a camper by Westfalia that has less camping equipment and often has more passenger seating. I think it often includes a pop-top and curtains but will not have a refrigerator or stove. The Eurovan MV with the weekender package has a bench seat which converts to a bed in the rear, two backwards facing bucket seats in the middle with a folding table and two seats up front. I think there is a little cooler under one of the rear facing seats but I'm not sure.

Dean Aukes: I think this was a lesser camper version (Vanagon?, Eurovan)with a smaller closet, fold down bed, fold up table (like the '68-'73 Campmobile) - no camping hardware like refrig, sink, stove, etc (although see post earlier today about the removable refrig offered at least in '85, with the special power socket).

- Westfalia ?

Steve Johnson: All Type II conversions made by the Westphalia company.

Joel Walker: the models produced by a company called Franz Knobel & Sohne in some place like Wiederbru:ck ... the conversions are called Westfalia (not the same spelling as the german state) and come in several different models. the one most commonly seen in the u.s. is known in germany as the Westfalia Joker.

/ Lars Poulsen