Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jun 1995 15:26:48 -0400
From:         Sglw@aol.com
Subject:      oil & head temps

My reply to your reply cc'd to the westie group

I take a good 11 miles for the temperature gauge to reach up to steady state 225. On the freeway I get steady state at 250 F

I spoke to a colleague who also has an instrumented bus. He syas that head temps of 475 are quite common and maybee even a little over 500 he slows down at 525.

He thinks that 250 is fine for oil temp.

what am I to believe???

PS the revs I am happy with are steady state at 4000 rom which is 72 mph if the data of 18mph per 1000 rpm is correct.

this makes my speedometer 3 mph fast and I read 68 at 65

sam williams >I drove to work this lunchtime, The bus steady stated with an oil temp of >250 F and a head temp of 450, these seemed a little high. I was cruising at >3800 rpm >I think I may be pushing it a bit >when I idled the head temp dropped to 350F > >The head temp seems to go up and down really quickly >tks for all the info >my owners manual syas that 65 is max and cruising speed I inferr from this >that max revs should be about 3600 and it could go to 4000 for a short while >

The T1 motor will turn 4400 no problem. Muir does _not_ say anything about a max of 3500. Muir does say to shift at 15-30-50. If you try this in your bus, you will find that 4400 rpm= 15 mph in 1st = 30 mph in 2nd, etc... I wouldn't worry about cruising at 65, as I do 70 on the interstate. What I would worry about: An oil temp of 250 is way too high!! This will breakdown the oil very quickly. Oil temp must be kept under 225 degrees.

I have a 71 with a 1600 DP and have and oil temp gauge which I built myself. I have calibrated the scale, and know absoultely that it reads correct. I run about 150-160 in town, and 180-190 on the interstate. Cruising at 55-60 mph has an oil temp of 160, while at 65-70 gives more of 180 degree range.

I don't have a head temp gauge.

What kind of cooler syatem do you have on your bus? A doghouse? These are absolutely necessary for a bus with a 1600.

If you have any questions, just write back.

CBridge@vt.edu Chris Bridge 71' camper