Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 1995 16:12:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Jonathan Dove <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Subject:      Re: Front wheel bearings (rabbits)

>From: Jack Reed <jackr@fortnet.org>

> Were you able to get a look at the contraption they used? I've never > seen one and the picture in the "Recycled Bugs" catalog leaves alot to > the imagination. A description of the device might be enough for me to > fab something up for the next go-round of bearings.

It is basically a long threaded shaft that uses several thick large washers and nuts. They are used to push/pull the bearing and wheel hub. You supply the power. An impact wrench was used to speed it up. I have read of others on the vw newsgroup that used the tool. If you are doing it by wrench it requires a lot of muscle.

Of course, the easiest way to replace bearings is to get an entire wheel assembly from junked rabbits and use those. Just make sure that the ones you get feel smooth running. I had to check several rabbits before finding a good pair. You can get your original assemblies pressed later and swap them.

> I had already assumed that the wheel and the CV joint would need to be > pulled so I'm not surprised that it took them 45 minutes/side.

Yes, the wheel and CV joint is pulled. The brake caliper is unbolted and the ball joint is removed from the wheel assembly. This is done to remove the outer CV joint and to allow the threaded shaft to go through the opening.

Jonathan jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu