Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 1995 13:44:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      '71 Bus Update

There are quite a number of you who have helped me along the way to self-sufficiency in my VW repairs. So, I thought I would let you all know how it is going.

I took Friday afternoon off to run some parts around town. I had to get my brand new intake manifold drilled and tapped for the brake vacuum port. I figured that for $15 I would save myself the price of one big tap that I would use once. Also, the thought of messing up a $90 part did not appeal to me. For another $3 they faced the carb mounting surface. The casting on this thing was not the best so it is sitting on my bench partly sanded. I will finish that this evening and give it a shot of paint.

I took the end castings and the generator stand to be tanked. I feel like a got a deal here for $10. They literally look brand new. They will not get painted. The guy at the counter was mildly amused by these strange looking pieces, as was the guy at the machine shop who worked on the manifold.

I have all of the old stuff off of the old engine now. Not much is being reused on the new motor. My spider filled garage looks very nice with two vw motors sitting on the floor. I still have about 3 pieces of tin and the fan housing to paint. I need to clean up my 'new' generator (thanks John) and put in some brushes. Hopefully the last couple of things I have ordered will be here by Friday. Maybe this beast will breath (and not catch) fire this weekend! And just in time for one small camping trip before fall. Oh well, I will kill all the rust this winter and hit the ground running in the spring.

It has been said many times before but I will echo: None of this would have been possible without the fine folks of this list. I know I would have sold it when it died. The mistakes I have avoided and the tips I have read, that will add miles of use to my new motor, have been simply amazing. I know that most of my knowledge of VW wrenching is still in the books. I have, however, been talking locally with several VW types. I have been able to give them tips and advice that they have never heard. I just have smile and tell them I have several friends who have owned them for years. Thanks, Jim -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/