Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 11 Jul 1995 11:13:48 -0400
From:   ad230@freenet.carleton.ca (Sean O'Neil)
Subject:   Blowing kitchen w. pump fuses - help!

Well, had the maiden voyage last week. Took my new 84 wasserboxer on a 900k "road test" to the Kawartha Lakes region of southern Ontario.

Laughed like a kid the first couple of times that I got the "wave" from other Westy drivers. Wife now thinks I might be cool again.

Since this wasn't an overnight trip we weren't really rigged for camping so didn't bother doing anything with the water tank/pump/drain connections.

I will be going remote camping this weekend so I decided last night to check out the water system. Got the garden hose and put 5-7 litres of water in the tank. (Do most of you carry a funnel to do this with?). Level indicators work, at least the low level red does.

So - water in the tank = water out the pump ? Ha

Culprit is the water pump 3a fuse. Replace - PoP. Clean contacts (which were very corroded), replace fuse - PoP.

I want this to be no more than a five fuse job so I turn to ya'll for help:

Does this pump need to be primed in some way. I don't think it has been used in years.

Maybe I need to fill the tank completely? Does the water pressure of a full tank have any roll to play?

If there is a short somewhere how to I go about tracing it? Auto electrical systems intimidate me.

Thanks for the help. More questions to follow...

-- Sean O'Neil | "listen, it was so savage and brutal and powerful that even Ottawa CAN | though it happened out of the blue I knew there was nothing | arbitrary about it" | -Christopher Dewdney-