Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jul 1995 20:56:20 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      Now that I have the gauges installed...

... I get to worry about the readings.

Already, I'm surprised at the head temperature. I took a 15 mile drive, with moderate inclines, and was surprised to see it hit 500F on those inclines!

80 Vanagon camper, 2L engine Ambient temperature today: 85F Engine speed: 4K rpm head temp: 425-500F oil pressure: 45-60 psi (dropping as engine got hotter) cruising mostly 45-50 in 3rd gear, occasionally dropping to 3K rpm in 4th gear

Don't know what the oil temp is yet - I'm awaiting my drain plug sender - it should arrive tomorrow.

What is the ideal engine speed these things should be run at anyway?

regarding the head temp gauge - once I realized that #3 cylinder was on the left side of the vehicle I found that I could run the supplied wire through the passenger compartment and up under the dash. Just barely - I had to move that gauge over to the extreme left just so it would reach! Next step is to determine what the delta is between the two wiring sets. If it's not much, or if its predictable, I may switch back to under-vehicle wires. You see, the carpet in my camper was fastened down by someone with an eye for permanence. There's no obvious way to lift it up - the edge by the door is a solid piece of metal with fasteners visible - how did they do that? So I have this wire snaking along the edge of the cabinetry up to the cockpit deck, where I can put it under the carpet/rubber there. Maybe I should install some wood trim to hide it?

well, enough for now. I'm just glad its all installed!

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------