Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jul 95 22:42:28 EDT
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      tach update

All you waterpumper drivers who have been burdened by my fierce envy of your tachometer can relax: I replaced the dash pod of my 81 Vgon with a late 80's part, including tach, 100mph speedo, LCD clock. Pretty painless installation.

For other early 80's Vgons who wish to upgrade: 1. You need the newer speedo cable, that clips on instead of screws. I got the one that goes all the way to the wheel, deleting my EGR countdown box. 2. You need to switch around the wires in the multi-lead connector that connects to the dash pod. The connector opens up like a little door and you can rearrange the lines easily. Both early and late use the same connector, with 14 leads. No idea why they switched them around. Bentley has the map for both. 3. Don't know yet whether the fuel gauge will be usable. The 81 fuel gauge fits with some trimming, but the markings are half-hidden by the edge of the module, so I'd rather use the late one. 4. I need to figure out what to do with the water temp gauge. Seems waste- ful to have it there unused. 5. If you get the tach alone, you can install it replacing the clock in your early module, but the gauge markings won't match the early speedo and you'll have to cut and paste to get the electrical connections right.

It's a nice tach. The markings are a little patronizing -- green in the range VW wants you to drive -- but the green is pretty muted once the tach is installed in the cluster. The big VW tach is much more usable than the little 2-inch 0-8000 tach I had before. The best news is that the adjustment provided by the built-in potentiometer is enough to convert the tach from 4-cyl to 6-cyl; I don't have to send the tach and a bunch of money back to VDO for conversion. The not-best news is that the wreck I got the parts from had over 160k miles, so that's what my new odo says.

4th of July under the Vanagon: the way it's supposed to be. B. Wm Kennedy kennedy@admin.njit.edu