Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jul 95 23:43:45 EDT
From:         "David E. Most" <MOST%PUCC.bitnet@vm1.spcs.umn.edu>
Subject:      importation success

Just thought I'd let the list know that I successfully imported a '79 westy from Canada to the US a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to those who helped get me started with the procedure. I will write details in the future of how to go about doing this, but if anyone has any question about importing a vehicle, I'd be happy to help. The bottom line is that it's possible even in cases when you might think it's not possible. You just have to know the rules AND the exceptions to the rules.

On another note, after parking at US customs in Niagra Falls and getting my paperwork (I was as polite as I could be), the westy wouldn't start. I had to push start it all the way back to NJ. Fortunately, I picked up a couple of hitchhikers in town who said they wanted to go to Cleveland but were willing to go to NYC. They helped with some of the push starting, and I dropped them off in Manhattan. I did get stuck at some NJ turnpike toll booths and managed to push start it myself, running with the bus and jumping in to pop the clutch. I've since replaced the starter. . . it's such a luxury to turn the key and have it start.

david '79 westy