Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 1995 09:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Re: to rebuild or not to rebuild

VwII72@aol.com writes: > > Being moderately mechanically inclined, I desided to rebild my own engine. > Now that I have it a part and have started looking for parts, I am begining > to question my decision. Does any body have any advice for me. At this > point my decision is between getting a long block or by the parts and do it > my self. I my have also thought about looking at a turnkey, but have not > found one to get the price.

I saw them listed in an ad in Hot VW's for $799. GEX sells same for about $900, I believe. If you buy a long block, get an 1800 instead. It's the same on the outside as the 1700 and usually the same price. Gets you some free torque.

> I have a 1972 type IV engine > Here is a list of the things I need to get to do it myself. > Cam Shaft(-4) > Cam Lifters > Pistions and sleeves

Just those three things are over $400. You *are* going to get new bearings, gaskets, and a reground crank, aren't you? Another thing you should do is take your rods and pistons to a shop and have them matched. The pistons and rods should all weigh exactly the same, but are usually off by a couple of grams. You can either grind off some metal to make them match (be careful where you grind tho!) or put the lightest pistons with the heaviest rods to make the total assembly equal in weight, or at least as close as possible.

> Heads or rebuild the ones I have yet another mystery

If your old ones are not cracked, have a machine shop replace the valves, check the seats and guides, and re-use them.

> Heat exchangers

Ouch. Junkyard item, unless you wanna pay $400 for a new pair.

> Heat control boxes

Another junkyard item.

> Alternater > Fan

Why replace these???

> oil cooler(I may just clean this)

Take it to a shop and have it blown out with compressed air.

Know that by the time you buy all the parts you need to rebuild the engine, you will have spent as much as the cost of a long block from GEX. Been there, done that. Ended up spending almost $1100 for a totally stock rebuild except for a Melling oil pump. What you gain by doing it yourself is a lot of knowledge and experience. If that is worth something to you, then go for it. If not, shell out the $900 now and save yourself a lot of work.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Sleeper) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================