Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 1995 10:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Re: How thick should clutch disk be?

SStueber@aol.com writes: > > If you have the engine out, replace the clutch disk even if it looks like > it's new. For the 15 or 20 bucks you'll spend it'll be well worth it. If > you don't do it now, you will regret it soon. I always replace my pilot > bearing anytime I have the engine out. It costs about 5 bucks.

I agree about the pilot bearing, although they can be difficult to remove. If your clutch disk has any signs of oil having contacted it, replace it. It is a good idea to replace the clutch disc every time, but I just wanted to point out that it is not always necessary if you are on a tight budget. When I rebuilt the engine in my bus 4 years ago, I looked at the clutch disc and decided it looked purty good. Put it back in, along with the original pressure plate and throwout bearing, and have driven it another 30,000 miles with no problems at all. When I pulled the engine last weekend, the clutch still looked good.

Another data point - My Mustang. Last year I pulled the tranny to put in a new clutch. Replaced the disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing, as the tranny is not easy to get out and I didn't want to have to do it again soon. With all new parts, I was guaranteed not to have any clutch problems for a long time, right? Wrong. As soon as I started it up, there came a noticable squealing from the throwout bearing. The old one had not squealed. For six months I have put up with that squeal, which goes away when I depress the clutch. Last time I was at the drag strip, after the first pass it was squealing a lot louder, and the sound had changed to a slightly more grating kind of noise. I know I am going to have to pull the transmission again soon, and it p*sses me off. I should have left the old throwout bearing alone, but everyone always recommends replacing it every time, because "It's only 20 bucks". But it's not. It's 20 bucks, plus labor to pull the tranny a second time and another 20 bucks for another throwout bearing. And you still don't know it will be fixed. I guess a mathematical formula would be more appropriate - wish I had some special fonts. "The limit as N goes from one to infinity with N being the number of times you have to replace the throwout bearing before you get one that doesn't squeal, summation of N * (cost of throwout bearing plus labor to R&R the transmission)." or something like that. You know what I mean.

The moral of the story - "You can never be sure"

and given the above, in most cases, I ain't gonna replace what ain't broke! YMMV.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Sleeper) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================