Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 1995 13:32:58 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      Rusty meets real Rusty (Vlong)

Last weekend Rusty, Cherry, "Snark" the hyper Schnauser dog, took off in the '83 Westy slowmobile to go camping in Northern Arizona with the inlaws in tow in their GMC truck. The trip was a success outside of no fish on my flypole and several 25-35mph uphill climbs at 7550-8350 ft elevation. The traffic that built behind me really appreciated the acceleration and power of my fully loaded 2.0 aircooled "powerplant." Nearly every one that passed gave us the thumbs up. Well, I think they were thumbs. The highlight to me was the discovery of a junkyard which contained several type threes, late model bugs at the kleenex stage, misc '70s bus burn victims, a '66 Westy parts bus and a candidate for the Bimbo magazine's "Weirdest of the weird" page. It turned out that the owner of the yard was really named "Rusty." I just had to laugh to myself when I heard this little tidbit. "Rusty" had a weirdmobile that was a '63 *walkthough* Kombi/Standard 11 window that had been grafted onto a frame of a lengthened '55 Chevy/GMC 4WD truck frame with semitruck gas tanks located directly below the driver/passsanger doors. The front end was extended beyond the VW nose with a huge, old stlye, tractor engine cover/radiator and hand fabbed flat fenders. The fender mounted headlights appeared to be '35-'48 style. VW blinker covers were still used in the usual position. Rear fenders were the '55 Chevy/GMC style. The passanger side rear fender was unmercifully cut to allow for the opening of the rear most side cargo door. The rockers of the VW were at least a full three feet off the ground. Tastefull roller applied paint was screaming zonker/school bus yellow with the tractor frontend and beltline painted house paint black. It looked kinda like the bus for the Rehab School for the Visually Impaired Engineers! =) Rusty mentioned that the vehicle was a "hell of a reputation around the area for several years." (No doubt that it was!!) It turned out that "Rusty" was a very nice guy and sold me some parts for the '67 Westy Resto from Hell at a reasonable price. The inlaws weren't in tune to the magnificance/significance of the sight and said that they would catch a burger in town and wait for Cherry and I. They waited for a nanosecond beyond the McConsumption and bailed on down to Phoenix. *THEY BAILED!* This made for a very interesting drive home listening to "my beloved" telling me that it was rude to bring the innies camping and then turning into "Mr. VW Vortex" once again. "Can't you for once...lalala" I reminded her that we picked up about $300. worth of hard to find poop that would go into HER camper resto (from hell)for nearly zilch and it made no sense to blow on by the yard and then try to communicate and negotiate via telephone and the 400 mile distance. Everyone tells me to "relax" and not be so hyper, but if I take two seconds to scratch my... scalp and mellow out, then everyone gets on my... scalp about it. Sheesh! I just need to relax on the same channel as their "Busy/Anal" vacation schedule. (Breaker, breaker one nine). I could understand as retired people really have to keep a fast pace with all that they have to do- Especially while on vacation. ;) I know Cherry well enough to know when the price for eating a little crow is worth the VW parts (like always!). Watch for pics of the Cluster Fuzz bus in the Bimbo mag and in the NEATO newsletter "Stand by your Van" section .......................................Westfalia........................ Rusty VanBondo ----- Phoenix, Arizona (AZ) USA _|###|_ '67 SO 42 Resto _._________/___|___\ | 0=|_\_|_\_|=0 * * * | #### |O\ v /O| *+* * *+* *+* | |__|w|__| ***** *+* .........**+**....**+**......|_________||+---+||........***+***...**+**.