Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 1995 20:26:08 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Westy table knob/bolt

Hi Everyone. The threads on the bolt that holds the swing out table in place (Vanagon Westy) finally wore out, and I thought I would post a solution to this problem to the list.

First off, VW wants $39.50 CDN for this knob/bolt. The knob is made from plastic, and molded over a bolt. The threads on the table top steel plate were also partially stripped. The bolt is welded to the plate, so I just cleaned that the threads the best I could.

I have a friend who is a machinist, and he did the following;

He cut off the threaded portion of the bolt, and tapped a hole about a half inch deep into the barrel of the bolt. He then took a new bolt, cut to length, and machined the end of that to fit inside the drilled out portion of the knob/bolt. Once the two parts were together, he drilled a hole through the side of the bolt, and drove in a pin to hold the two halves together. A little touch up on a grinder, and voila :)

While I was at the dealer earlier this week, I priced out a couple Westy parts for fun. These parts are in CDN $$$, and for a '90 Westy. The water faucet/tap is $171, and the water tank pump is $165. I was thinking of getting a couple parts here and there for when I need them, but at these prices I don't think so. Of course, if one waits too long, they won't be available.... hmmm.

Harry. ------------------------------------------------------- Harry yates Internet: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '90 Syncro Westfalia (The Polar Bear) Burnaby, BC '87 Golf Diesel