Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:25:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:         "Morris H. Arthur" <marthur@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Propane fridges: '76-'79

OK, since there's interest, here's some more info on my fridge customization for Bus living:

I gutted the existing fridge cabinet between the sink and the closet. I put a fake bottom in both cabinets: remove the bottom for "deep storage" of car parts, odd tools, etc. The top part of the two cabinets are convenient for dishes or clothes, whatever.

I don't think one could easily install a propane (or any) independent fridge in the old cabinet. The way Westfalia separated the fridge components from the box to keep it narrow ain't really common.

The chest fridge I bought is the same height as the black tire well on which the passenger seat is attached (and about as wide). The fridge is not fixed it; just sits there like a cooler, perfect for sitting on while cooking dinner or as a step up into the pop-top. (Of course, you have to get up to remove things from the fridge...) Yes, the passenger seat still rotates.

I intalled a T-fitting and another propane hose under the Bus and into fitting mounted on the back of the tire well (similar to the one for the stove). I attach the propane hose for the fridge to this fitting on the inside of the Bus. (So, when I'm not living in the Bus, I usually don't leave the fridge in.)

Safety:

Yes, one should have ventilation: open the window :) Seriously, if one is concerned about safety, you could run the fridge off of the battery while traveling and on propane when parked (with the window atleast cracked.) I personally have driven from Belize to Canada with the propane burning and slept in zero degree weather in ski resort parking lots with the fridge on and all the windows shut. (This makes for a lot of ice on the INSIDE of the windows, though...) BTW, the fridge runs on LP, DC, and AC.

Performance: At temperatures above 90 degrees the fridge just keep things cool (forget about ice cubes.) If you keep the sliding door open in windy weather, the flame tends to get blown out. (Yes, there's a safety cut-off jet.)

How to get one: Beats me. I bought mine from a propane supplier in NW Quebec. (Alot of propane fridges up that way) for 450 Canadian (ouch) five years ago. The brand name is Dometic: they supply most of the big fridges for big momma RVs. So go to your local RV store and ask to see their fridge catalog; you might be able to special order one. An RV guy called Dometic for me and said that they no longer make my particular model though...

Whew, I didn't know I could be so long-winded. Respond if you want to know more about making a Bus a home....

--------------------------------------------------------- Morris Arthur Environmental Sciences and Engineering University of North Carolina