Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:21:14 -0700
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      the "ideal" refrigerator

As usual, my mind's been wandering again - trying to fantasize the perfect refrigerator. Not that most VW campers would have enough space for this, but see what you think. (It could work in a house too, of course).

Either West Marine or Camping World (and I'm sorry to say I can't even remember if it's the store or the catalog) offer an ice-maker only unit, which runs off of AC *OR* DC (maybe even propane, can't remember). My idea was to have this unit make ice cubes, which, instead of sitting in their bin, would drop down by gravity and surround an ice box. I suppose this would be sort of like an ice chest on propped up on it's smallest end, and within it, a smaller rectangle, which would not be insulated. The ice would "drop" into the airspace/cavity between the two rectangles, and be insulated by the thickness/insulating qualities (which could probably be beefed up) of the outer rectangle.

My experience is that ice can last 3 days or more if WELL insulated, and in this case, one could simply turn on the ice maker when needed. One of those fridgemate fans run on 2 D-cell batteries ought to be sufficient to whirl the cold air around to create relatively even temperatures inside the inner box.

Further, perhaps the melted ice from the system could either be recycled back into the water used in the ice maker, or even into the regular water supply, for showers, etc.

What do you think? Is it viable?

/martha