Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jul 1995 10:36:19 -0400
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Re: Part #/plans for front end skid plates?

>I have a copy of the VW VAG Service publication "Technical >Recommendation: Journeys under difficult conditions" for the VW >Transporter/Caravelle and LT, but they only show plans for skid plates >for the motor, transmission, and underbody _behind_ the front wheels. >What do you other folks do to avoid damage? Do synchos have a skid plate >in this area? Derek Drew, maybe you can offer advice (although I've >heard the underside of your synchro looks like a war zone)?

Well, actually, Joel sent me the manual in German so I sent him one back in English that I had got!

So your copy is probably a copy of a copy of the original that I sent Joel. :)

Anyway, there are fine front end skid plates in that manual, but for Vanagon, not bus, as I recall.

The manual seems to be aimed at air cooled Vanagons, primarily, although there is some bus stuff too.

I prefer working with aluminum alloy material for skid plates (3/8ths inch thick T-6 6061 alloy) rather than fabricating skid plates out of steel the way the Difficult Conditions manual says to do. The aluminum alloy doesn't rust, is real slippery on the rocks, and is lightweight so you can bolt huge sheets of this under your vehicle without it getting to heavy.

You bolt it to the underside using countersink stainless steel screws with allenhead/hex wrench sockets. In order to support the material all around against the frame, you buy a pile of hockey pucks and drill holes in them. Then, use as many hockey pucks as neccessary between the aluminum alloy skid plates and the vehicle frame. ___________________________________ Derek Drew drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup address, checked infrequently)