Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 1995 13:06:31 -0700
From:         wabbott@megatest.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      old bus literature, underbed cargo latchs for 70 pickup, Front engine tin. paint

1) I sent off to Walter Miller in New Jersey and got a real 1970 VW Transporter catalog with pictures from Germany and text in French- multi-page, color, shows pannel vans, pickups, crew-cabs, large-bed pickups (Wooden bed and sides with steel-channel frame) and utility versions with seats or for limosine use.

The limo picture is really cool- shows a red '70 bus with a liveried driver (!) and a bunch of business travellers, men and women, all very european looking, and there the tail of a Cessna in the frame the way a Cadillac ad would have a 747- it takes a minute to realize that the big swept tail is in the FOREGROUND and not a much bigger thing in the background.

2) I've just realized that I blew it big-time on my locking cargo hatches- I drilled out the right side one to get into the compartment, but having done that, spoiled the lock cylinder. Well, a careful exam shows that someone had already drilled out the left side too- so I've not no intact cylinders. At first I just thought it had been smashed, but now that one is drilled, I know what that looks like. Sigh. So I'm looking for one or more 261-829-561C cargo latches or at least one intact lock cylinder for same. I'll check, of course, to see if the door or other lock cylinder I have is the same, but I suspect its a special for the application. Ooops. I may end up with a hasp and a pad-lock!

So let this be a lesson to me- don't destroy things without making a thorough inspection.

If anyone knows of a wrecking yard with a 1968-1979 single-cab pickup, please let me know!

3) So here I'm about to put the front engine tin back on (FIF) and its got 3 round holes in it- one for the fuel line, which should have a 6mm rubber gromet, part 311 971 913, one for the accelerator cable, which gets an N 20 092 1 gromet, conduit, and the third doesn't seem to have any purpose, and gets an N 20 004 1 plug A.

This is the vertical piece of metal ahead of the fan shroud.

Have I left anything out?

4) Does anyone on this list live where spray-cans of VW touchup paint are still available? I'd like to get a couple of cans of Lotus White. I'd pay for the paint and UPS, and buy you lunch for your trouble. I don't know where the paint-code sticker is on my pickup- any suggestions?

Bill