Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jul 1995 13:38:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Jack Reed <jackr@fortnet.org>
Subject:      Re: Gas Heater for '82

David, Try Blake's Small Car Salvage in Erie, Colorado, that's where I got mine. Ran about $250 for all the goodies with the exception of the belly pan which I managed to snag from another van.

I went the same route you did, found a couple of used ones and made one working unit out of them. My van (81 Westy) also did not come with a heater stock. There are quite a few gotchas to keep an eye out for. I'm working on a doc now that will spell out the procedures I used as well as things to keep an eye out for such as burnt combustion fan motors, incorrectly adjusted flame switches, etc. I'll post it here when I get it finished.

Please feel free to post to me with any questions you may have. At this point I feel like I'm an expert on the things. Any questions I don't have an answer for I do have a real expert (ex VW factory trained mechanic) to rely on. One thing you don't want to do is to use JB Heater's out of Castle Rock, CO. The guy's a flake, I had a very bad experience with him and can't recommend him lowly enough. Ark Mirvis in NJ seems ok in my limited experience with him, but you'll pay through the nose if you're planning on buying the whole unit from him.

Jack