Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jul 95 16:59:13 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      Should I buy this 66 Deluxe

Hello all,

I don't recall if I can post this now that I'm no longer subscribed, but if it makes it through I really need some help so some of you split types email me some feedback personally if you would. Yesterday while out cruising some WV backroads I see a red/white splittie sitting by the road, well I stop and talk to the owner who has been meaning to chop her up for dune buggy parts, he's got 3-4 buggies and a bunch of bugs and bug parts sitting around so anyway this is how it stacks up

Bad:

rust, front floors gone on both sides, though standard WW $29 replacements probably big enough to repair, right side rocker and floor going badly, typical rust where the doors close against the rocker plus some major holes in floor a few inches back from the rocker, WW sells floor halves but do they include the rocker where the doors latch?

interior, missing middle seat, the rest is pretty much trash, complete but totally shot, dirty nasty, headliner there but mildewed nasty oddly seats not ripped just dirty and ugly as hell.

front windows sealed in with mucho silicone, bondo etc, but actually not too rusty when you peel the stuff back.

Gas tank has 15 year old gas in it, the current owner simply never even tried draining it, runs it off a 5 gallon tank in the trunk doesn't leak so could probably be boiled out and sealed

Tires a hodge podge of 20 year old shot bias ply retreads, this guy bought from origional owner who had it sitting on his farm since the early 80's.

All origional window & door rubber, all the window shot and leaking for years some of the door stuff OK

Good:

Ordered without sunroof/skylight windows hence they have not been there to leak and cause major rust, plus not nearly as much rubber to replace.

1500 sp runs strong rebuilt at least once, this guy bought from origional owner who had it rebuilt in the 70's, big oil sump installed at that time.

no nasty gear box/ reduction gear noise, moves under its own motive power in all gears to 40 mph (as fast as I dared), brakes work

lights/signals work, this thing is 12V, I thought 67 was first year so must have been converted along the way.

Oddly most of the bus is solid except for the above, rear corners OK, left side amazingly good, front doors/window frames OK, not too many dents, bumpers present and solid, probably a couple repaints in its life.

origional spare, new and never down

The best part, this guy says, well I got $100 in it, yours for $175, I figure it can be mine for $125, and hell this thing is inspectable with new tires and a check out of the brakes I figure as long as the missing front floor don't cause too much trouble, now as shot to hell as the interior is and since most of the trim/brightwork is rusted oxidized, etc, it probably is not worth resto, but for $200 in sheet metal and some MIG time it would be a solid enough runner/parts hauler and its a split, and I never owned a split. What particular things should I look for, any quick ways to get a better idea of the condition of the reduction boxes, drivetrain?, how about the front end? it didn't wander that bad but I only had it to 35-40 mph or so, aside for the body, what should I look for in making a decision, am I crazy to even think about picking this thing up, if I don't it will probably be made into a shed and thats sad, please advice anyone?

email me direct. John Anderson ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy Virginia, '90 Corrado G60