Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 95 08:53:06 PDT
From:         Steve Reilly <steve@caliban.ucsd.edu>
Subject:      Squeeeaky clutch pedal

Well, I don't think I can live with it much longer, and would dearly appreciate some advice. The clutch pedal on my '90 has been squeakin and creakin for months and miles now. I've done the contortionist act, laying on the floor on my back, peering up under the dash with flashlight and mirror, trying to see where to lube the dang thing, but the pivot-bushing-spring (or whatever is up there) is out of sight and out of reach. I pulled the plastic cover from the instrument cluster on top of the dash, and no luck from that angle, either. Bently is typically opaque on this one.

I called the local dealer's service shop, and the 'advisor' there told me he didn't think I would want to pay them what it would cost to deal with the problem. (I think I have them trained now, to expect me to question everything at least twice, and to be very reluctant to give them any more of my money than is absolutely necessary). His informed advice was that it will be necessary to remove the entire dash to lube the clutch pedal! This seems pretty bizzare to me. Anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Keeping the music turned up loud,

Steve Reilly