Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 1995 16:31:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Call me a mechanic

I would have liked to post this to vintagvw as well but they are getting a little a testy over there right now. Anyway, yell at me if you want. It is kind of VW related.

About six months or more ago I went to a VW repair place here in town and asked the guy if he was doing any hiring. He said to check back in the spring when things picked up. This went on with me going in about every 2-4 weeks since May and each time he told me to check back. I told him I knew a little bit about one '71 bus but could learn the rest. I figured I could change oil and to tuneups and leave him to the big important stuff. He thought that sounded like a good idea but come back in two weeks, etc.

So, today I checked the calander and road my bike down there again. He stood around a little more and said he really didn't have any mechanicing that needed done. It turns out he is pretty much a one man operation. He did, however, just move into this building about a year ago so has piles of parts and stuff everywhere. He asked me if I knew the VW part numbering system. I said that somewhere I had a complete list of how it works. I do, thanks to a certain VW encyclopedia I know in Alabama. Then he asks if I know anything about getting things organized. Well, I am a librarian when my hands are clean. So we had a match. I start in two weeks. Just Saturdays for now, then some afternoons if I can get out of here early enough. Who woulda thunk it. My foot is in the proverbial door. Thanks for your time. I just had to tell someone. Jim -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/