Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 1995 17:25:41 -0500
From:         jfourni@comp.uark.edu (Joseph F. Fournier II)
Subject:      stuck CV joint (kinda long)

The other day I was parking my new (though somewhat seasoned) '71 campmobile and I noticed, as I was backing up, smoke eminating from under the rear passenger-side wheel. Fortunately, I was backing into a shady spot where I planned to to some canoe fitting.

Upon inspection, I found that the one wheel was egg-frying hot and the other was fine. Mind you, I've only had this bus on the road for one (count 'em - *one*) day with dependable idle and brakes. This was not the standard brake-smelling smoke, nor was it oil (though it also speweth forth in droplets from the engine). In truth, I've never smelled this kind of smoke before.

My first suspect was bearings, so I tore into it and down to the wheel-side CV (noting along the way that I kept forgetting to read key peices of my idiot book...also known as "being proved by fire"). So I got out the bearings, killing one in the process and got the CV out and torn down and inspected what remained of my bearings, etc.

Well, I don't know how I did it, but somehow I managed to get my CV joint to freeze up when I put it back together. Now I can't get it to move through the motions. This being the first CV I've had in hand, I'm not already all that familiar with the motions, but I know how it moved when I took it out, and it don't do that no more.

I don't remember forcing anything or hitting it with a hammer or jamming dirt down it (though one of my alternate personalities may have done any or all of those things while I wasn't watching...if in fact I have alternate personalities who have managed to allude me all these years). I do know that the instructions said clean it with solvent so I took it apart and used the only handy solvent I had (gasoline)...but I wiped it quite dry and shiney and looked for pits and stuff and I let it warm up from that cold gas feeling while I wolfed down some grub. I also noticed that the angle of my CV probably isn't 20 degrees anymore (looks more like 10)...though I could be wrong about that.

Oh, one more thing I might have done wrong: I didn't take the cover off the CV housing either to take the balls out or to put them back in. I took the whole wheel side apart and removed the axles, but lo, I don't have a vice or even a dependable jack (I used one from my '72 Ford on a convieniently-bent-and-soon-to-be-replaced rear bumper)...thusly, I left the cap on. After I put it back together, I did grease it as well as possible without moving it, but unless some magic has been worked as it sat inside the bus today, that didn't free it up.

8( I'm going home to see if I can snake it apart by first somehow removing the cap...if that doesn't work, I might get creative and hold a blow-dryer on it to see if some of the grease might work its way down in between the balls (come to think of it, though, I closed the windows in the bus for the mondo storm we had last night and with the temps we've been having it probably reached 110 in there today.)8 Then, there are always chants and incense...which may work with this bus, who has no doubt seen many groovy parties and stuff.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I'd appreciate a note. I'll check back this evening (surely greasing the keyboard in the process).

Thanks! Joe Fournier '71 Campmobile (awaiting complete resurection)