Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 95 17:23:39 PDT
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Grumpy update to '81 Westy project

Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your heat exchanger woes.

I'm taking a pretty big step away from the buses I'm familiar with but here goes: I believe that the right hand heat exchanger is the same on both the 49 state and California air cooled Vanagons. This heat exchanger, the muffler and tail pipe are the only exhaust system parts that the two versions have in common, I think.

Perhaps you could use the right hand exchanger that was sent to you from AVP with a left side exchanger obtained from a 49 state Vanagon. What kind of shape is your collector and "U" pipe in? Some of the exhaust system parts may be shared with the '79 bus <that year only> but not the heat exchangers <buses got some of the heater air from the fan housing, Vanagons get it from that plastic fan on the alternator.>

Good luck!

Dave '74 Westfalia