Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 95 9:00:26 MDT
From:         aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca
Subject:      Rear wheels lean inward

Hello everybody

I have a '73 bus and I've been plagued by the rear wheels leaning inward very noticably when the suspension is unloaded and a lot more when it is loaded. It has caused wear on the inner edges of the rear tires and I was wondering if there is an easy fix. I had the rear suspension apart in the spring since I was rebuilding the engine. The spring plate settings are spot on the angles mentioned in Bentley and Haynes and I marked the original relationship between the hub parts and arms and returned the same positions on assembly. They did mention in passing that the lean issue could be addressed to a small degree by preloading the trailing arm with a pipe wrench but the correction was a best minor. I think the suspension is common from '68 to '79 and involves a spring plate that attaches to the torsion bar and the rear wheel hub assembly. There is also a trailing arm that attaches to the rear wheel hub and to the torsion bar housing about 1.5 feet inboard from the spring plate. The spring plate and trailinf arm form a triangle to prevent side to side movement of the rear wheel hub and wheels. It looks to me like the trailing arm is the thing that controls the lean of the wheel since the spring plate can twist due to the torsional load of the wheel. It also looks like the trailing arm has developed a set to it over the years or the rubber bushing at the torsion bar housing end of the trailing arm has worn over the years. I looked at the bushing but didn't take it appart since it seemed to have no twisting free play in it when I had the rear wheel hubs off. To my mind it looks like the trailing arm has simply allowed the wheels to lean inward due to the constant loading on them over the years.

Last night I had a thought that since both trailing arms are the same it should be possible to swap them right for left. This would flip each arm upside down on the opposite side from each arms' original possition. The only problem that I can see is the little clip retainers that hold the brake line along the trailing arm would now be inverted. This should lean the rear wheels outward by the same amount that they were leaning inward before. Seems simple but am I right? If I did this I would need a rear wheel alignment but it looks like the toe in and out is controlled by the position of the rear wheel parts and arms when the bolts clamp them in place.

I'd appreciate any comments on this or sdvise from anyone who has tried to adjust the rear wheel lean problem.

Thanks

Andy Burczyk