Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:05:07 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      Re: want ads from LiMBO ... WANTED TO BUY

>???? Vanagon mag wheels - will consider steel wheel covers that look > like mags. "Tom" (602) 224-8085 days, (602) 926-4787 eves (AZ)

This ad was placed by a friend of Rusty VanBondos back in June with the intentions of it going in the NEATO letter. The Tom name was a typo somewhere down the line ;). The Vanagon wheels were been found at the VW Classic in Irvine, CA. I lost a plastic basket weave hub cap on my "83 Westy in early June. Searched everywhere for replacements. Prefered the steel/aluminum wheel covers that looked like mags. Thought that they'd be cheap. Found that locals didn't have them or had them in (literally) run over condition for $25. each! Didn't want to pay the WCM repalcement price for the plastic basket weave. Cherry and I went to the SOTO/Classic Weekend June 10th etc and showed up with the stock black wheels without any hubcaps. Someone offered to sell me a set of the correct later model Vanagon mags for $500.00. I smiled and took the info but defered "to check my budget." A fair price for them considering the lack of availability, I suppose but, if you're near broke then he could have quoted a six figure price and it would have been the same likelyhood of getting them. The next day at the actual VW Classic event I was trolling the ailses of the partswap and nearly dropped my water. Slippery hands, not a personal problem. ;) I saw a gentleman in his very late 50s selling parts and looked really out of place. He had some old aircooled parts that attracted most people to one side of his space. His prices were unusually reasonable (read: ridiculously cheap). <OEM chrome front symbols for $15 each etc>. Someone suggested that he check the going prices before the day got started but he said that he didn't care and was in a "cleanout mode." Too cool!! In the corner were a stack of wheels half hidden by more interesting parts, cardboard and his family that ended up being a set of one piece 14" Carrol Shelby magnesuim wheels that look exactly like the VW issue fake mag look-alike wheel covers with center caps. These wheels had the correct '70ish ('68>?) to Vanagon bolt pattern! He said that his brother had them on his '79 Bus for years. Asked on the price. $100 for the set (way cool). Being the nice guy I am and considering the atmosphere of the swap negotiations I countered on a lower price settling at $85.00 for FOUR!!!! :))))). After major polishing and minor adaption of front drums, they work great and look great. rvb\ *No .sig by popular demand*