Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 1995 11:33:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire question again

>Well I put passenger tires on mine before reading the info on the list. They >are Goodyear Arivas (205/70R14). They work ok but I would say they feel real >squishy compared to the Michilens that were on there before. I have logged >about 14,000 miles on them without incident, but would feel better cornering >with a tire with a stiffer sidewall, so they will probably get moved over to >my Thing if I have the clearance in the front. My recommendation is to go >with the light truck rated tires, afterall your vanagon is a light truck >(almost 5000 lbs). I will be switching tires before winter.

Well, to each his own. But may I submit that, in snow, Goodyear Arrivas were superior to any tire I have ever put on a car, except some studded snow tires on a Datsun 810 once. This was back in my Summit COunty Colorado days, when snow was snow and VW's were king of the blizzard-warning circuit.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter