Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 1995 22:19:24 -0400
From:         feets1st@ocala.com (Kevin Murray)
Subject:      21 Win/SingleCab Pt Deux.. (longish)

Where'd we leave off last night? Oh yeah... After waving off my new custodial friend, and waving over Richard, we ( Richard and I ) formally introduced our- selves Volkswagon to Volkswagon, fella to fella.

Now over the last few years I've had the opportunity to meet and speak/type at length to some pretty interesting folks but rarely have I had the pleasure of matching a face to the lines of text that scroll off the `puter screen each day.

Richard came off as he did in his messages to me almost daily since May... Bright, articulate, "colorful" and enthusiastic (to almost underweigh the value of the word... ; )) while I am sure I painted a less than "chipper" visage as I had spent a rough night prior in some forgotten hotel somewhere in Lumberton North Carolina trying to ascertain why cable TV in this part of the world did NOT include The Weather Channel (tm) but did offer 12 stations of The Shoppers Network? BTW, I now have 8 pairs of FM radio socks if anyone is interested!!

Nonetheless Richard took me under wing and led the way (in his Rainbow 67 bus) to the resting place of my soon to be Samba, and the home of a volks guru who spent the next 18 hours patiently dealing with Richard and I as we swapped this and fixed that and borrowed this tool and ......etc.,etc.

Interject ON +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Let me interject at this point to those who may be curious (Joel!) that neither my SingleCab, nor the 21 window are anywhere near what I would call "showable" vehicles... Granted I drove both well over 500 miles within a period of 48hrs and they both got me where I needed to go basically within the timeframe I had allotted, but other than the structural security of these beasts...well, the phrase "A face only a mother could love..." kinda pops up ;)

These are both definative "Project" vehicles and require lots of TLC which we thought we could supply better to the other persons VW than we did our own! Actually, the inception of the trade idea came as my own bus died and I found myself faced with having to haul gear around in the truck..Do-able, but zippo as far as security goes and inconvienant trying to shift stuff into a small cab every time it started to rain. Richard on the other hand already had three busses (21 window, his Rainbow 67, and a later model breadloaf) and felt the need for a pick-up truck to do some light hauling in....there you go! +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ Interject OFF

We worked at Sean's house (who I would highly reccomend to anyone visiting the Raleigh area in need of some master mechanics) until the wee hours swapping motors, unloading spare parts and shifting stuff from one vehicle to another as I prepared to leave for Florida in the morning...

LESSON #1 Never rush anything that requires carefull torque/ft lbs LESSON #2 Do NOT trust your judgement/memory at 12:30am LESSON #3 What can go wrong will....

Tomorrow: The trek back...kinda

Kevin Murray (cinematographer) -FeetsFirst Films

59 Ragtop Beetle,(sitting up north!) 59 SingleCab,(in resto) 66 Deluxe Samba(finally!) 66 Sunroof Beetle (daily driver) 67 Panel Bus,(parts) 69 Beetle Baha,(project) 72 Combi Bus,(dead!) 74 412 Station Waggin.(project)