Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 1995 10:30:24 BST
From:         JSYKES <JSYKES@fs2.cp.umist.ac.uk>
Subject:      TRIP TO FRANCE (SAD)

Hi all,

Well, I've just returned from my holidays taking my camper across to France. Thanks to everyone who replied to my mail before I left giving me advice on what last minute checks to make. this is how the trip went.

15th July 7.30pm we set off from Manchester heading for Newhaven on the south coast for the ferry.

7.32pm, about 1/2 a mile from home the van cut out and would not restart - I should have realised this was a bad omen. I eventually discovered that the distributer had become dislodged and the rotor was not turning. I repositioned the distributer and screwed it up nice and tight and everything worked fine.

8.30pm Set off again, feeling a little anxious !!

After the slight problem in setting off everything ran fine, and we made it to the ferry in plenty of time with no further problems. When we got across to France we drove about 400 miles down to the southwest coast of France stopping near Bordeaux. The drive through France was great, no problems with the camper and the French VW campers (and Beetles) that we passed all waved and flashed their lights enthusiastically at us, (there didn't appear to be as many aircooled VW's in France as there are in the UK though).

After five days on the southwest coast we decided to slowly head north again to stop in the Loire valley. We drove for about 2 hours whereupon we reached a small village with some rather sharp bends. It was upon gearing down for one of these bends that a horrible, loud, crunching noise could be heard from the transmission. We managed to get the van off the road before it came to a grinding halt. Oh s**t I thought, that sounded serious - I was right. At first I thought it was maybe the clutch that had gone and since there would be no way I could do anything about that at the side of the road I made a call to the RAC with whom we had arranged breakdown insurance. The mechanic arrived and towed the van to a garage where, after examination, he determined that it was the final drive that was the problem and the whole thing needed replacing. Since the van could not be repaired before the end of our holiday the RAC decided that the best thing to bo would be to send us home in a hire car and to send the camper back to us at a later date which could be anything up to three weeks.

So there it is. We are now at home, camperless and fed up after cutting our holiday short by a week. Oh well you live and learn. For now I'm waiting for the van to be returned so that I can determine exactly what the problem is, (since the mechanic spoke no English and I only speak a little French this was difficult at the time) and I will probably be writing to you guys for advice on how to put it right.

Cheers for now

Jon