Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 1995 12:15:15 -0400
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Re: Syncro cv boots

Wow Lous. What a piece of mail.

I'll remember Toyota Corrolla 16V outer.

I've already wanted to connect up with somebody running a Syncro out of South Africa (I assume that is where you are). I suppose you were searching the Vanagon gopher for old mail. Are you on the Vanagon mailing list? I haven't seen you post there.

Be advised that VW has migrated to a brand new CV joint boot which is blue in color and made out of some kind of poly substance. But $180 is laughable. (Did you convert this figure into American $$?). I think I paid about US$60 for an aftermarket LOBRO front CV joint kit. Keep in mind that you are supposed to replace the front axel nut and numerous other parts up front there if you are going to change the boot so a boot usually comes as a "kit" with other small parts.

As far as I can tell, I am the world's most enthusiastic off-roading owner of a VW Syncro van. I have done lots of mods to it to make it better for this purpose.

Do you run the same gear ratio as we do here? (4.86) And do you run, like 25" tall tires?

I'd like to get ahold of a parts microfiche from South Africa so I can compare the part numbers and see what things are different. If you like, I could send you some from the USA. VW dealers typically say these are secret and won't give them out but one out of every four dealers will give out an expired microfiche if you just ask. Also, what do you use for a repair manual down there?

Do you have the 16" version of the syncros in South Africa? Or only those with 14" wheels.