Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 1995 20:14:42 -0400
From:         BBTSQP8@BAPLAZA.BELL-ATL.COM
Subject:      Re: external cooler/filter : trust the dipstick?

Hello again all-

I was helping a friend with his bus the other day, and I got to thinking about something: He has an external cooler and a filter, of the "replace-the-stock-cooler" variety, and he has it all mounted in the engine compartment. I know he's preheating his cylinder-cooling air that way, but that's not my question this time. What I'm wondering is:

With all that hose and cooler and filter up above the case, it seems to me that perhaps you can't trust the dipstick any more. Would the extra oil from the cooler/filter/hoses drain back down into the case and make it appear over-filled when it's really OK?

Hmmm,

-Mitch

---------------------------------------------------------------- Mitch: I would go with the dipstick. The filter is probably mounted in an upright position, which means that it should retain its oil. The oil cooler will drain back into the case, but so would the stock one. Sure, there is some extra volume due to the length of the hose and the larger capacity of the cooler, but not too much. There are some things I would be concerned about. First, if you were to overfill the oil, the cam and crank counterweights could whip the oil into an aerated froth, possibly causing low oil pressure and bearing damage. Second, if you were to underfill it, with the extra capacity of the cooler and filter, the engine could possibly experience low oil levels in the sump, and low oil pressure during acceleration, cornering etc. Kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't. Trick is to find that happy medium.

My suggestion would be to install a thin-line oil sump and oil pressure gauge. The thin line sump would allow you to fill the oil to the "normal" spot on the dipstick, and not worry about frothing. Also, it would more than compensate for the greater fluctuation in oil levels that could occur due to the increased capacity of the pressurized side of the oiling system. This is because the oil pickup tube sits about 1.5 inches lower in the sump. The pressure gauge--just for good measure.

On my '65, I installed the thin-line sump, and it ended all of the low oil pressure problems I experinced during spirited cornering, on-ramps, etc. I am completely satisfied with the results.

Any comments on my theories? I would love to hear them.

Tom Carrington BBTSQP8@bell-atl.com 88 Vanagon 65 Notchback