Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 1995 17:57:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Jesse L Reynolds <jlrF94@hamp.hampshire.edu>
Subject:      [Q] Fuel Inj problem

Howdy all- My girlfirend has our van in Colorado, and has been experiencing some problems. If I were there, I _might_ be able to figure it out, but I am not. So if anyone has any spare brain cells to devote to this dilemna:

1. Sometimes the van does not start. It just turns and turns and does not catch. 2. If it does not start, it won't start for about 30 min. But if it starts up, it runs fine. 3. It fails to start more often when cold, but has happened when warm. 4. When it fails to start, the engine smells like gas. The hose from the oil breather is damp with gas. Gas gets in the oil. 5. This began soon aftern arriving at a town at 8000 feet above sea level. 6. This has been getting worse and worse. Recently, it just plain died while running.

I am quite sure it is the Fuel injection of the van, which is a '76 2.0 L with AFC FI. I suspect that the engine is getting flooded. This could be a leaky or over-active cold-start valve. Or, the brain maight think that the van is very cold, and thuse enriches the mix. This could be due to a faulty heat sensor (# II ?) or maybe a funky solenoid connection. Any ideas? proposals? debates?

BTW - she has already taken it to a vw-trained mechanic, who we think is an OK guy.

I would like to take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone who has given me advice and solutions. I tend to only post questions and problems, and rarely solutions. This is becuase I am still learning, and rarely know the anwers. This is also due to my 1200 baud modem, trying to read a digest! (That leads me to wonder - has anyone considered putting this list on the USENET?)

Thanks millions. Jesse Reynolds jreynolds@hampshire.edu