Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 1995 23:32:02 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      Gauges and stuff

Well, I broke down and bought gauges for my '80 camper. Now of course I've got to figure out the cable routing. So far it looks to me that all the cables are attached to the frame member, hidden from view by that big metal plate thats bolted onto the middle of the van. Is there an easier way or should I just bite the bullet and drop this plate?

Also, any recommendations on mounting the gauges? I've ordered (and not yet received) some black plastic panels from Rocky Mt MotorWerks, mainly because thats all they had. But I'm not sure yet how I'm going to fasten it all together. Clues welcome.

Boy, I love those wiring instructions that come with VDO gauges too. Only took me a little while to figure out that it was telling me to wiring up the gauge (light) to the headlamp switch. Blurred picture of a switch I guess.

Rather than a drain plug sensor I bought a dipstick sensor. Does this give you a better reading? Or is it simply more of a pain to disconnect when you check the oil level?

Oh, and something moderately related: my 2nd battery is completely dead. I wasn't using it much last winter, but never did replace the wiring leading to it to make sure I had sufficient voltage to charge it. What can I say, I'v been too busy trying to get products to ship! I deep-discharged it a few times, and didn't sufficiently charge it back up. So anyway, I left the dead battery in there, but disconnected its ground. It's still connected to my alternator-switched relay though so that the positive cable is still getting voltage when the engine is running. My camper power pack is wired directly to the positive lead, so it's also getting power. So right now, I can at least run the fridge on electric when the motor runs, which gets me to where I can turn on the propane. (the fridge never gets *that* cold when running off of battery anyway, but it keeps it in the 50's (F) at least. But I'm wondering if this is the best way to run the thing - because I can see the fridge light (and the electric clock that's in mine) flicker sometimes. I'm thinking that maybe I'm not getting *that* steady a voltage or something. With the battery in the circuit it was at least providing some *buffering* of the current coming off the alternator. Any thoughts on this setup? Do I need a battery in there to smooth things out?

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------