Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 1995 09:47:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Gary Clayton <coyote@nando.net>
Subject:      Re: engine brake in

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, Roy Jared Michael wrote: > > I am getting a GEX rebuild put in my Vanagon as we speak.. Is there a > break in period that I should follow to ensure many happy miles? HOw > often should I change the oil when it is new?? I know Muir says he > changed his every 50, 100, 250,etc... This seems excessive but if it will > make my VW last forever I will do it. Your help is much appreciated.. > Jared > 82 Vanagon

I have a new GEX in my '76 (2L FI). Here's what I've done: oil = Valvoline 20W50 checked valves at 500 miles - they had tightened up - readjusted at 1000 miles I adjusted valves again (they had tightend again), changed oil, and re-torqued heads. The inside head bolts on both sides were fine, the outside ones on both sides needed to be tightened some. I used a torque wrench and went to 350#. For the first 1000 miles I did not over-rev or wind out the engine. I kept speeds under 60mph. Since then I've been up to 65-70mph and it feels good and tight - I even had accel. left but did not push it. Also, I can tell my rings are sealing - both times when I adjusted valves, the flywheel was harder to turn, showing I've got good compression. Good Luck! -gary