Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 1995 10:28:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Jonathan Dove <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Subject:      Had our heads replaced (long)

We had our 85 vanagon's heads replaced recently. We bought this new in Fall 1985. This vehicle has about 160K miles on it. The water pump had been replaced twice. The first time by VW and the second time by us (my father and I). It had started leaking about a year ago. At that time it was no concern until a few months ago. It would leave a small puddle on the ground but water level never dropped. He had inquired at a FLAPS (NOPI in Savannah) for replacement heads. They had them for about $350 each and the gasket set. He also asked if any one in the area could work on it. They said that none of the local vw repair shops would touch it. The only place in town that would do it is the VW dealer. The dealer was not too thrilled on doing it. The only place that would do the repairs was a vw repair shop about 1 hour away. Their address is below if you are interested.

Here is a copy of the bill:

Parts

1 ring set 26.99 1 gasket set 184.76 8 lifters 138.16 16 cyl head studs 224.00 2 cyl heads 691.58 8 push rod tubes 144.40 1 front seal 10.24 1 rear seal, o-ring 20.08 1 oil filter 9.50 5 qts oil 7.00 1 hose 6.14 1 hose 4.00 1 hose 28.45 1 hose 40.45 1 hose 60.90 1 hose 60.90 1 hose 60.90 1 hose 67.55 1 hose con. valve 38.50 2 ft overflow 2.80 4 ft heater hose 4.00 26 hose clamps 37.40 1 gal antifreeze 6.50 2 exh gaskets 11.00 2 exh braces 42.05 1 exh clamp 39.15 1 oxy sensor 38.15 1 vent hose 13.00 1 used exh pipe 25.00 2 exh gaskets 11.00 ------------------------------------ 2024.55

Labor R & R engine 450.00 R & R water hoses 60.00 R & R exh pipe 25.00 Labor on idle switch, R & R oxy sensor, Adj F/I 35.00 ------------------------------------ 570.00 Tax 101.23 Total 2695.78

Mechanic's comments:

He thinks part of the leaks may come from the head studs stretching. The cracks may have from overheating. It may have come from running the engine too hard when it is cold. He adjusted the fuel injection because someone had tried to adjust in the past. We suspect the dealer because we had no reason to change it.

My comments:

The final price may seem high but at least we will have a good running engine. This is probably much cheaper then getting a rebuilt engine from VW.

The replacement heads are brand new. The old ones had to be returned for the core charge. I don't know if they are reusable. The old heads had corrosion on the surface where the gasket meets. The chamber surfaces had a weird yellow color. There were cracks between the intake and exhaust valves on all four chambers.

Ring set looks cheap enough. The gasket set is (IMO) expensive. It is made by Elring. $224 for head studs! The only thing I know about them is that they are 12.9 grade material. I have never have seen anything higher than 10.9 grade. Some of the old studs had rust on them.

Three of the old lifters had collapsed. That explains some of the valve tapping noises. They did not have any wear on them. We change the oil and filter every 3K miles using 20w-50.

Hoses are expensive. We all know that. The mechanic had to call around the country for those. The new hoses, most of them, have VW markings on them but I don't understand why they are hard to get.

One of the exhaust pipes had to be replace due to a crack near one of the flanges on connecting to the head. I don't know where that came from but it was very inexpensive. He had to replace two of the braces because the old ones had rusted and broke. When my father and I replace the muffler we made our own brace out of galvanized pipe. Cut to length, hammer the ends flat and drill the required holes. We also made our own muffler strap using steel shipping straps. Works just as good as VW's.

Final thoughts:

It may look like combination of wear, abuse and VW's design flaws that caused the engine to leak. We do take care of it. Part of the abuse may be from some of the drivers in the family. Two of them drive it hard as though they are in a drag race all the time. It now runs much smoother probably due to the fuel injection adjustment. Any way here is the address of the place that did the repairs. When we had picked it up they were working on an 87 vanagon doing head replacement. They had done about four of them before working on ours this year so they know what they are doing.

Stan Boatright & Son Volkswagen Repair Rt. 11 Box 1074 US 341 Brunswick, GA 31520 912-265-9567

Jonathan jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu