Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 1995 05:43:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gary Martin <gmartin@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
Subject:      Re: 71 no start

On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 JasonS1390@aol.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 95 08:51:06 CDT > From: JasonS1390@aol.com > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Re: 71 no start > > I just rebuilt my 71 1600dp and installed it into my bus and it will not > start. in checking when the rotor is at the #1 position the plug for #1 > sparks, the piston is at TDC and the valve clearance is at specs. The firi

When an engine won't run

Check the spark the Check the fuel

The spark is easy, it must jump and crack loud enough to be heard.

In your case, your engine was nt previously running, so you must really carefully check the points and the timing. Do it a coulple and have someone step through it with you out loud.

The vw fuel pumps change the position of the fuel-in fuel-out pipes at random. try switching the hoses if you didn't mark the fuel inlet with a scratch when you pulled the hoses.

How long did the rebuild take? Are you trying to start a new tight engine with old gas? Try draining or topping off the tank.

On a 71 you can mix up the coil wires and then when in reverse, the points are shorted through the reverse lights to ground.

good luck

be sure to post the solution no matter how embarrassing , Everybody has their own story.