Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 1995 08:47:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Car weekend

I made it to my first car show this weekend. They had but two bugs. The first was a '56 that had a 1641 in it. The guy said his dad had rebuilt the motor with some bigger jugs so it was bigger than the stock 1600. Something like 1640 he said. Also, he had big tires on the back so he could cruise the interstate at 70 and keep the revs good and low. Finally, I asked to see the engine and I could see the ground through the areas around the blower housing. Big holes. Oh well. The other was a '65? and looked to be restored to or already in original condition. He wanted $4500 for it. He wasn't around. The rest of the cars were old detroit iron with chevy 350's in them. They all had that motor. Kinda boring after seeing several hundred.

VW content. I finally ordered the last of the bits I need to get my bus going, carb, etc. So, Sunday, I ambled out to the garage thinking I would take the rear bumper off and get ready to pull the old motor and such. Well, not so fast. There has been a ding in the left rear since I bought it. This ding kicked everything enough out of order that it took me about two hours to get that bumper off of there. Basically I couldn't get to the two outside bolts holding the thing on. All those tools and u-joints and nothing would help. At one point I pondered using a hammer and chisel. At another point I figured I had $3,000 worth of tools and brand new VW parts surrounding me and maybe I should unload them all before I lost my mind completely. It did, however, finally come off of there. Only a couple of the small bolts broke. After that the rear part of the engine compartment came out easily enough. I unhooked a few wires and called it a day. Tonight or the next the motor is coming out. I have to work fast now. By Friday all my parts will be here and then there are no more excuses for why the bus doesn't run. All my friends are getting itchy to go camping. Anybody have a straight rear bumper for a '71 bus they want to unload really cheap? I have no money. Any ideas on straightening the one I have? Basically it has a crimp on the top and bottom about 18" in from the left. My biggest hammer came up with nothing. Anybody vacationing my way in the next couple of weeks? I will feed you all the lentils and rice you can eat in exchange for wrenching. Oh, and I have 10 gallons of homebrew in the basement. Thanks for listening. Jim -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/