Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 1995 11:22:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:         david woodward <dwoodwar@d.umn.edu>
Subject:      Maiden voyage (return)

Hey all,

We just got back from our maiden voyage in the 73' camper. It ran like a charm. We decided against New Mexico mid trip and instead headed through Michigan into Canada, around the north part of Lake Superior back to Duluth, MN.

On the way down to Noblesville Indiana we had a little trouble in Chicago. We left after my sisters wedding at 11:00 pm and drove strait for 14 hours. It ran great at 65 for most of the night (the outside temp was around 45-50). Just out side of Chicago I started getting terrible gas milage. We stopped for gas at one of the oasis stations and when I started it again it was running really rough and missing. It seems that the ajustment to the fuel injection (that bar that connects the throttle and the fuel system) was out of wack. The motor was really hot. So I let it cool for about a hour and tried to reajust the idle. It worked. From then on I didn't drive faster than 60mph and never had the problem again.

Is this what they call vaper lock? I felt that I was pushing it a little hard. Lesson learned.

By the way, the drive from Seu St. Marie (sp) to Thunder Bay Ontario is one of the most spectacular views I've ever seen and the provincial parks are great. Most are right on the beach. I saw a bunch of busses in Ontario and most waved back.

Now its time for after trip maintainence. Tomarrow I leave on another (shorter) camping trip. This time for work, to complete a folklore project in Northern Minnesota.

Driving up highway 31 in Indiana I saw a old farm with multiple busses in the yard. One had a beetle welded on the roof. Someone else on the list mentioned this, I think.

DAVE 73' camper (77 2.0 liter motor and transmission) 73' superbeetle 89' volvo 240DL