Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 1995 20:12:48 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Gasoline and Octane numbers

Rachel writes for Ramona asking about gasoline octane.

So I've been running a vaguely scientific experiment for the last 4000 miles in my Corrado- I switched from 92 Shell Su-2000 to whatever they call their 89. Someone here said that the lower octane had a higher energy density and so I'd get better milage with lower octane. And the results? I used to get about 25.6mpg, pretty steadily, in the Corrado. Now I get 26.6. About a 4% change, and in the right direction. Next time I fill up I'll go back to SU-2000 (92) and see where the milage goes.

For my air-cooled, I plan to run 92 until I have a head temp gauge and then do a couplea tankfulls of research. At the risk of repeating myself, I consider gasoline not unlike peanut butter or other processed commodities. I don't buy my fuel on price alone, and neither do I supply my faithful cars on that basis. Have you ever eaten really cheap peanut butter? Blech!

Deming's 4th point, as I'm sure Pete Sellers would agree, is "Cease doing business on the basis of price tag alone." Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cheers, all! Bill