Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 1995 09:56:50 -0500
From:         daukes@mmts.eds.com (dean c aukes)
Subject:      Joel, add it to the stats....

Sometimes looking for one of our beloved vehicles becomes kind of like a treasure hunt. The stories of these searches are fun to read, like the recent finds of Martha and her Acupulco 181, and Dave and his "two in a barn for two hundred".

My story isn't quite as exciting, but about a month ago I was kind of looking for a vehicle with better gas mileage, like a rabbit diesel or (even better) a rabbit diesel pickup. I happened to ask a guy at church if he had seen any vw pickups around (this guy is really good at finding stuff - very excellent garage sale searcher), and he said yes, he knew of a '68 crew cab for sale. Obviously, this is not what I'm looking for - they don't get much better gas mileage than a bus, but I'm intrigued. Actually, I struggled with this, since I don't need another car, especially a project, and my wife thinks we need a house (she's right), and, and, and...but a crew cab pickup! Long story short, last saturday I finally drove almost 3 hours to see it. The poor thing - it's sitting under an open barn, been there for three years, engine is dead, transmission jumps out of 4th, some rust in floors and rockers, front bumper mangled and the nose a little mushed from an encounter with a trailer - but the interior is really pretty decent. The bed is in good shape, the sides all there, the pieces are all there, including a clock, radio and luggage rack - like the ones for the buses, but shorter for only the crew cab length (he said he really had trouble finding one years ago).

I bought it.

I must be crazy.

Joel, please add it to the stats.

Dean Aukes '68 crew cab pickup '73 Campmobile