Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 1995 07:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Things fall apart; the center will not hold

Hello everyone!

Christa and I went up camping at Skookumchuck hot springs again last weekend, and had an... um... eventful time. Well, the hot springs were absolute bliss, even with the rain, bugs, and a few attention-getting antics from our beloved camper.

We took the easy route into the springs this time, driving to Pemberton, then down the east side of Lillooet Lake and the Lillooet River to the spring. This route has only about 50 km of logging road each way.

We settled in, had dinner, and spent the next few hours floating naked under the trees and stars in beautiful hot water. Ahhh... We turned into bed relaxed, pruned, and a little bug bitten. Sweet dreams!

In the wee hours, I started having really disturbing dreams. Death, destruction, startlingly realistic, with Christa and I meeting all sorts of horrible deaths. As I rose up into consciousness, one image came to be more and more distinct. The imagery joined with smells, and sleep began to fall away.

My eyes opened wide: GAS! I sniffed around the cabinetry, and convinced myself the smell was real. I jumped out of bed, grabbed a flashlight, threw on some clothes, and stepped outside. I looked in the engine compartment: nothing. Fuel filter, fuel pump: nothing. As I flashed the light on the tranny, I saw it was soaked. Uh oh. Under the car, I saw a connection on the fuel line was leaking, fast: dripdripdripdripdrip...

"Oh, fudgemonkey!," I thought to myself. I jumped back in the camper, grabbed a vice-grip, and pinched off the fuel line. I'd deal with the problem in the morning, when I could see, and when I wasn't holding the only light for miles around (and attracting every mosquito for miles around).

In the morning, I stepped outside to take a closer look look at the fuel line situation. I had also developed a flat tire. Hmmm... It was raining persistently, and the bugs were pretty aggressive. Let's see: the bugs are bad, there's no wind to disperse the bugs, the ground is quite muddy, it's raining, and the hot springs are really beautiful. The fuel line could wait.

The next morning, the wind came up, the sun came out, and the dirt dried up (a bit). The bugs went wherever bugs go on windy days. I changed the tire and managed to tighten up the fuel line clamp enough to stop the leak. I've got to install one of those fuel line shut-off valves: It'd make situations like this much easier to deal with.

Satisfied, we closed the pop-top, cleaned up other peoples' junk from the site (grrrrr!!), and fired up the motor. Seemed a bit loud... By the time we paved road, the motor was REAL LOUD! I got under the van and saw immediately that the exhaust system on the left side was hanging really low, and that the exhaust pipe from the left side (#3, #4) manifold had sheared off completely at the flange for the U-bend. So now I've got a completely unmuffled motor. Well, half muffled at any rate.

Here's what VW told me regarding costs for replacement: Left exhaust pipe $820.10 Afterburner (U) pipe $550.00 Muffler $283.35 ------- TOTAL $1653.45 (Prov. and Federal taxes, labour, misc. parts)

VW claims no aftermarket parts are available (although I can get an aftermarket muffler for $195.00).

I'm hoping I can get the exhaust MIG-welded back together for now. :(

Anybody have a 2.0L Type IV FI motor with an exhaust system they don't want? ;) Does anybody know of a cheaper aftermarket source for these parts? My engine # is GD000885 (1976). My heater boxes are, of course, shot, but I don't really care about that since it's not a winter vehicle.

I don't really expect any miracle solutions; I just wanted to cry on your collective shoulders. Keep all your fingers crossed so that MIG-welding will work, ok?

Tobin ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= PUTTA! (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| PUTTA! tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | POW!! '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)