Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:31:53 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Bob's rap on JM, David's 74 Thing tranny, battery compartment fix, Fords

Bob, Thanks for the nice essay on Muir. Agree on every point. For my $0.02, Muir's real contribution was making the Rabbit book possible- I find nothing to disagree with, its easier to use, and the drawings are even better. The tradition of understanding and doing that he engendered is more valuable than any specific thing he did, said, or personally fixed.

David, Your 74 Thing might have a bus tranny or some other VW tranny- by 74, everything, Beetles included, had Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) which means 4 CVs. See if you can find a flat place where the serial number is stamped into the case. Sorry,. no clue where that might be unless its a bus case! The 2 letter code or some such in the serial will probably help identify what you actually have.

Jonathan, I wish I had done my battery compartment the way you describe. I might use stainless steel fasteners with nylon-insert nuts instead of pop-rivets, and a rust-converter or conventional primer and paint over shiny metal on the remains of the body steel, but that's mostly aesthetics.

When you say "aluminium sealer" is this a specific product for sealing aluminum or a 'liquid solder' metal-loaded hydrocarbon product?

Sergio, As a matter of fact, my sweetie and I got a new Mustang on a recent trip- with 7 miles on it! Its very powerful, but the rental car version rolled displeasingly and the interior is terrible. The drivers seat didn't go back far enough, the headroom front and back is lousy, view out the windows is poor (non-existant for back seat passengers) and the wheel is mounted too high. In short, its got little squinty windows and a cheap interior. It does go like *)*#$ and has a nice big trunk. A fast-back would have been a much better car, but they don't do that anymore. Having now driven a new Corvette and a new Mustang, I'm happier than ever with my Corrado, a far better car. A year ago I drove an Chevy Astrovan and there's no comparison with the EuroVan- the VW is a FAR better product.

Bill Abbott wabbott@megatest.com

VWs: 70 Single Cab Pickup, 93 Corrado Cats: Moustache and Georgyi Felinovich Zhukov Best Fish Recipe: Pan Blackened Catfish Favorite Flannel Pattern: McNab (natch!)

/\_/\ //o o\\ <<==Y==>> "growing whiskers and a tail!" mm,\C/,mm