Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 1995 20:47:32 -0400
From:         SSGSPEAR@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 1972 (en... morphing to rear apron disscussion :-).

In a message dated 95-07-12 12:52:41 EDT, anon869@vt.edu writes:

>The way I see the removable apron: > >1) 71's have a removable apron, as well as the 1600 and the down low >front >turn signals. > >2) 72's have the T4 engine, with the down low front turn signals, but >the >one which I see often does _not_ have a removable apron. The 72 >also has >the bigger air scoops and the different rear end (body wise). > >3) in 73 the turn signals moved up in the front and got more square >in >shape. I think that the rear has the previously mentioned bumper. > >I guess that what I am getting at is that the fixed rear apron is a >consquence of the T4 engine, not the bumper. > >While we are here, how do you distinguish between the model years 68 >to 71? >The 71 has different hubcaps, but I don't know if these could be >retrofitted >to the earlier years. other than that, I can't tell a 68 from a 69 >from a 70.

The only way I know of to tell the difference in the '68-'70 is the side markers. The '68 and I think '69 are round and behind the wheel in front. The '70 are square and at the front of the door.

On those front turn signals/parking lights, my '72 has the high square as on a '73. I also have the lip on the front fenders a la '73. Could this be because this is a late built (June 1972) Camper?

SSG Brad Spear 1972 (wannabe '73) Westfalia

P.S. The ID does start with 232 so I know it is a '72