Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 1995 01:52:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:         william killian <killian@gcr.com>
Subject:      Re: buying a new or used VW

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Bjorn Rettig wrote:

> I am planning to buy a Vanagon or Eurovan with Westfalia equipment > in the next couple of month (probably in August). > > I don't really like the new Eurovan, but this is only a problem of > getting used to it. When the vanagon came out, I preferred the > previous "round" form too.

Try it, you'll like it. (only a few have expressed dislike after using the EV for a while)

> What would you recommend to me and why? > > - buying a new Eurovan with Weekender equipment? > - buying a new Eurovan with some other camper equipment? > - buying an used Vanagon with Westfalia?

How seriously would you be 'camping'? THe EV MV with the table and foldout bed is enough for my current needs but wouldn't be suitable for a rolling vacation with no hotel stays. There is a 'cooler in a seat' available for the MV. The new US EV camper conversions are done by Winnebago. Don't have enough experience with them to have an opinion. Don't have Vanagon experience either - YEARS and YEARS in a '72 Westy though. I think my EV is among the best vehicles available at all. Only wish it was more available. Unfortunately availabilty will play into your decision. If you can find a used EV with Westy (not Winne) equipment it would probably be your best bet with what I know from your post.

> BTW, I am not a handy person and do not know much about fixing cars. > Almost all of the repairs would have to go to a professional.

Might be a good reason to get as new a vehicle as you can. Usually the newer the less problems for the mechanically challenged.

bill killian '93 EV MV