Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 1995 18:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Alistair Bell <ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject:      My clean garage..idle hands, devil's tools etc

I got two responses to my offer of the free heater boxes that I found while cleaning the garage. How do I choose the winner? Any suggestions? A quiz... What is your favourite colour etc?

So I have this new found space to work in, so what do I do? I yank the engine out of my ol' '72 westy that I decided to keep.

I figured that it would be easier to replace all of those rotting rubber bits and tighten-up this and that if the engine was on the floor!?

As I suspected most of the rubber in the central idling system is cracked, there is dirt and leaves under the tin, but the only oil leak I can see is from one of the valve covers.

But I have a question: my heater boxes are rusty and thin at the point where the exhaust exits and joins the extractor/muffler. I have heard people on this list talk about about brazing the boxes but I'm afraid that the void is too big to span with braze and that the box material is too thin. Does anybody have any other solutions? Some sort of very heat resistant flexible putty?

I'll keep the list posted on my progress with this self imposed bit of penance.

Alistair