Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         7/12/95 6:24 PM
From:         bjoernr@microsoft.com

(delete)

I used to drive a '87 Turbo Diesel Westfalia in Germany. (I am living in the Seattle are now.) (delete) thanks, --bjorn

------------------------------------------------------------------ Bjorn Rettig Program Manager bjoernr@microsoft.com Microsoft Corporation

>>The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.<<

Bjorn (or any one else out there) - I own a non-turbo '82 diesel Vanagon. It's engine is the 1.6 4 cylinder diesel that goes into that same era Rabbit/Jettas, about 52 HP. It has an oil cooler that circulates engine coolant around the oil in a heat exchanger located between the engine block mount for the oil filter and the oil filter itself. Radiator up front appears to be pretty much full size across the opening behind the grill (30 to 36" ??).

What can you tell me about the turbo version that you drove in Europe? What engine, the turbo version of the1.6 that was used in factory turbo Jettas? Any special cooling arrangements? Any special engine compartment arrangements? American dealers said a factory turbo Vanagon was not possible due to cooling limitations.

Any considerations of the possiblity to special order parts/engine to convert normal breathing to turbo diesel?

Thanks Harvey