Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 03 Jul 1995 22:07:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      Record EuroVan Gathering....

Yep...3 out of the 13 EVs on the vanagon list showed up in one place this past Saturday at UNO'S Pizza in Langhorne PA...come to think of it is probably the first time in US VW history that more than one EuroVan has been in the same place at the same time...other than in a dealer's lot!

Interestingly enough none of the participants were from Langhorne... even stranger was the fact that Cetin lives a street away from my wife's cousin's house in Bethlehem,PA where we stayed Saturday and Sunday nite!

It was a great gathering...Pete Sellers was there in his EV Weekender, Cetin, his wife & kids in their EV CL, and my wife and kids and I in our EV MV...

oh yes, there was a MINOR ;-) Vanagon contingent in the form of Dave Mancuso and Kevin and John Sharpe and his wife and their Vanagon Westies...

As Cetin said, we did not explode any tuna cans, although if we had some magnesium we could have put it in Pete's microwave (yep an EV with a microwave...) (Pete...ever turn it on while going by a radar trap??) to see what happened...and yes I EVEN behaved myself...another first!

The EV performed as great as ever...20+mpg at 75mph with the front and rear AC units on...ran well up and down the hills on the PA turn pike..and route 78...all this with 2 adults, 3 kids, the lower storage compartment filled with a tool box and 5 suit cases, a stroller, a box of food, a canvas beach bag and our 36 quart electro cooler! And we still were able to accelerate up hill with the AC on....so all you naysayers who say the EV has no power or torque....TORQUE DIS!! ;-)

We made the trip from Bethlehem to home...a distance of 325 miles on 3/4 of a tank...and in 5 hours...thanks to a 25 minute delay on the GWB in NYC...

Oh yeah....we ran the NJ Turnpike for free today! It seems that the toll takers went on strike....part of their gripes with the state is that the state says it can't afford to pay these toll takers $30/hr overtime....

Can you believe it $30/hr overtime!!!!! That's what...$20/hr straight time...for sitting in a booth handing out tickets or giving out tickets and making change...$30 friggen dollars an hour overtime!! Let's see the toll is $1.25...and you gave me a $5.00 bill...gee this math is rough that's $3.75 in change...

I think I got in the wrong business...imagine $20 an hour for sitting on your ass and making change!! Where do I sign up!!!!

Well, I'm a bit fried and frazzled after the long drive... more later!

Ric

PS - Thanks to all who made this Philly Gathering a success... it was great meeting you all....hope we can do it again soon!