Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 1995 10:02:08 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Re: last minute checks

> > Hi all, > > I will be unsubscibing from the list for two weeks from >tommorrow as I am going on holiday. I will be taking the camper >('71) to the west coast of France. I have replaced the plugs, checked >the points, set the timing, checked the valves and changed the oil >(andjoined the AA!). Can anyone think of anymore last minute checks I >should make before I set off on the trip ? Also what spares do >you recomend (space and cash are limited)? Since getting the camper >last year I have only made a couple of long trips, so the van is >relatively untested, so please keep your fingers crossed for me. I >will let you know how I get on when I get back. Thanks in advance for >any help. > > Cheers > > Jon

What? Unsubscribe! And loose out on coming home to say, 1500 messages from your fellow maniacs?

Lately my spare parts stock has taken a quantum leap, especially after reading the trans Africa and other trip reports in the ftp files, oh, and Tobins report also. I doubt if you Europeans are even allowed to make some of this type of repairs on the raod.

Accelerator cable Clutch cable 3 fan belts 6 flares spare gas cap for when you go to Oregon and the attendant forgets spare half axles with CV's and boots (read the trans australia article in ftp, Tobin take note, if anyone could break one, you could!) Also when I rebuilt my old ones I flipped everything around backwards and I'm not sure this is a great idea and I don't completely trust them, people with new or nearly new CV's, with stock engines, should be OK. fuel pump, (and pressure regulator for FI) spark plugs (make sure they're the right ones before you leave) rocker arms, or at least adjusters, with extra studs and shims. Anyone with stock pushrods might consider a spare and an expandable pushrod tube replacement. Distributor (in case my CD ignition poops out) distributor cap and rotor intake manifold gaskets, exhaust gaskets 6 quarts oil brake fluid misc electrical, fuses, lamps, connectors, wire, FI relay tire chains For farther out back: hand winch and rope, shovel

Tools; 3/4 inch drive breaker and socket for the rear wheel nuts 1/2 breaker and 19mm socket for the lug nuts magnetic pick-up tool for pulling nuts out of manifolds. I use a heavy duty 5 ton piston jack because it can lift the bus off the ground with one piston stroke, rather than having to block and jack with the smaller ones. It has lasted longer and I trust it more also. CV socket trans fill socket compression gauge vacuum gauge fuel pressure gauge spark plug anti-sieze Ultra-Blue RTV Green Locktight jumper cables work light timing light VOM other tools sufficient for rocker arm replacement, valve checks etc. Haynes manual Fire extinguisher

Actually all this fits under the rear facing seat in the '71 westy. Most of this stuff is stupid, but I keep it in for when I might be able to fix something.

You could also bring nothing at all and be just fine.

Or you could try; fan belt (with some tool to change it) lug wrench stock jack spare tire 1 quart oil

I love my new engine compartment light I got from Kragen. Wire tied it to the ceiling, lights up the whole parking lot.

Eug, '71

Haven't read the 'Difficult Conditions' article yet either. Trans Africa? Shoot, I just wish I could make it to Portland and back.