Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 95 08:38:38 EST
From:         "ray hale" <ray.hale@santafe.cc.fl.us>
Subject:      Re: rear engine hatch screws & perfect brakes

i just replaced every door on my '66 kombi (except the engine hatch) and had to beat myself to death and then spend a few bucks to get the hinge screws out. One is broken and will remain so. I'm tired of &^@*&% with it! I received 3 separate posts from people on this list who went thru the same ordeal. Spray all screwws with liquid wrench, etc and let them sit for a while. Use the correct phillips bit (or you'll do much damage) and a long breaker bar. If you're lucky some will break loose. For the stubborn ones, spray again and try impact tool. After hitting hands several times and always questioning if you've got the impact turned the right way, find a friend with a compressor and impact gun. For me, all but 4 came off. I took it to two old german VW mechanics (one worked in Hitler's Berlin, the other at Wolfsburg) and let them take care of the remaining 4, telling them I didn't want to know how they got them off, just do it! I trust them 100% but knew it might not be pretty. I've been told that replacement screws with allen head instead of phillips were available but haven't found them yet. Anyone know about these? We have zero hardware/fastener stores in Gainesville except the chain stores and I suspect most of you have already found out how good their stuff is (sarcasm applied liberally). I do everything possible to avoid the extractor method because if they're rusted in there this good, it's likely youll end up with a broken extractor to worry about also. The seal rails blocking a straight entry to the screws is the biggest problem! I was hesitant to bend them for proper angle but I noticed the front doors have a half circle cutaway at these critical points. Sorry for the length of this post. Oh yeah, my bus has great brakes (after replacing all the lines) but dead motor. :^( does that count? ray g'ville, fl