Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 95 09:58:43 EDT
From:         Richard <rapalmer@unity.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      How to change your transmission mount

Or: How to save a couple hundred $$$ in labor costs Or: wow, this actually shifts easily now!!!

Well, as there has been some murmurings lately about transmission mounts, and as UPS finally brought me mine, I decided it was time to do the deed.Here's basically what it involves:

1 Remove engine - yes, this is absolutely necessary. I'll assume you know how to do this, and not explain it further.

2 Disconnect shift coupler - to make this really easy, shift into 1st or 3rd, THEN disconnect, so you can shift the lever into 2nd or 4th, and thereby separate the shift rod from the nose cone rod.

3 Separate reduction boxes from spring plates. this is obviously for splits, I don't know if the CV's and axles will give enough play to move the trans. far enough.

4 Remove big bolts which secure rear trans. mount holder to frame

5 Remove all 4 nuts from front trans mount

6 Lying under the nose cone, have someone pull back on the trans, while you remove the halves of the old mount, and slide the new one in there.

7 replace the rear mounts. Definately do this, while you're in there anyway. Mine were broken, and I couldn't tell.

8 Put it all back together, in reverse order.

NOTES: While you can do most of this by yourself, you definately need a friend to help out for some parts, plus it's nice to have some company. The whole operation took about 5 hours, at a nice relaxed pace, with all the parts and tools there.

Now, WOW! It almost shifts itself! What a MAJOR difference that makes. Plus now I don't have to worry about killing the nose cone, or selector arms, or the whole thing falling out. DO IT !!!! I will be happy to answer any questions if I can... Thanks Richard, '67 Standard